Monday, November 30, 2015

Reading: Touch, a chapter from the book, "A Natural History of the Senses" by Diane Ackerman

The Section, Tattoo in Diane Ackerman's "A Natural History of the Senses" was interesting to me because I liked the way the section spoke in sequence. The story tied much more about the cultural aspect of tattoos which is something often overlooked now. This section reinforces an emphasis on the importance of past culture on present culture through tattoos. In reference to this idea I have created a photo collage of a cultural shift in cultural tattooing practices. The image begins with a strong sense of culture, a man who has had his face tattooed in for tribal purposes. The next image follows a tattooed neck, from the 1950's, showing a progression of less tribal/communal influence and more personal influence. The third Image, the one of the body, is the biggest because it is the heaviest influence currently--showing all personal and no tribal/communal influence.



The section, Inner Climate, in Diane Ackerman's A Natural History of the Senses is interesting to me because it really considers the bounds by which our brains are kept. I learned some interesting ideas in this section and found her way of incorporating scientific ideals in a very perceptual and personal way helped me understand the concrete concepts. Because this section, to me was very scientific-perceptual based I chose to create this diagram based off of my interpretation of the reading.






No comments:

Post a Comment