Monday, October 19, 2015

Project 2: Soap Carving

Artist Statement: 

This was the perfect project to follow the masking tape shoe because I kept thinking during the tape shoe how building up an objects has its limitations. What I didn't know then was that carving soap has very difficult limitations too. The biggest struggle that I noticed with this project was getting overzealous. The soap carves away so easily that sometimes as an artist I lost my visual on how much I actually didn't need to carve in the beginning. What saved me on this project was using the banning wheel in order to make sure I wasn't carving to much away too soon. It also allowed me to begin seeing the negative shapes which altered the way I tackled the project. After my first carving I found that I worked to hard to create the pig instead of the shapes around it, and because of this my second carving ended up being the more successful. 



In process photos:





Final Compositions:
 Rear

 Front

 Top

No comments:

Post a Comment